Thursday, June 27, 2013

The Double Standard: A Hockey Fan Watches the NBA Draft

Held in Barclay's Center in Brooklyn, New York
So, I'm watching it for the first time. The NBA Draft, one of the biggest attractions next to the All Star game and the Dunk Contest, or something. I actually have no idea. Regardless, I like it so far. It's really aesthetically pleasing. The stage looks really rustic and the graphics on the screen are simple. A Canadian went first overall, and a few picks later a Ukrainian was chosen, so they really wanted hockey fans to feel at home. But, watching Simmons and everyone else discuss the picks, I realized something about the nature of broadcast journalism, and it wasn't a good something.

In any English class from middle school to high school to college teaches students to avoid cliches in their writing. Cliches like, "If you can't stand the heat, stay out of the kitchen." and "If you can't do the time, don't do the crime." or "Out of the frying pan, into the fire." Or maybe the most famous and annoying, "Keep your friends close and your enemies closer." And for the most part, authors and students of English listen. Sometimes it's used for irony, but that's no secret to anyone who reads it. 


However, it seems like in sports journalism, there is no irony in the cliche kingdom. 
"He's got a big body and skates well", "They go high to the rim", "This guy is a blue collar guy", "Who will be this year's Ryan Leaf?" and others that are really, really annoying. And, the repetition isn't the worst thing. It's not the obvious insanity of announcers and what they say, it's the fact that most broadcasters are honestly wasting their breath. 


I, and most of NBA fans (or any sport fans) want to know what's actually going on. Telling me Trey Burke "is an aggressive player," and "plays with a chip on his shoulder," and "is there to fill a certain role." I have NO IDEA what any of that means. And I have a sneaking suspicion it doesn't mean anything.


And speaking of cliches, the players are no better. And while I realize that PR plays a huge role in what they can and cannot say, I do not want to hear "I'd like to thank my mom, and the organization, and God. I'll bring my A-game to this team. Thank you." over and over and over again.


And for the most part, written stories and articles stay away from these cliches, it's mostly the doing of broadcast faces. Just, as a reminder from your friendly neighborhood journalist (pun intended) stay away from cliches, and everyone will be happy. 





No comments:

Post a Comment